Thejobs in educationare many. They encompass teachers and trainers; right from the earliest level of childhood development, to the doctors and professors at the private and government-funded Australian colleges and universities.
Facts about education and training jobs in Australia
The attendance at school is compulsory throughout the country. The rules governing education including the remuneration scales vary among the states. In general, children aged about 5 years are required to enrol in a school of their choice and progress with academic studies until they attain 16 years.
Some states such as Western Australia require the children that are aged between 16 and 17 years to continue attending school, or participate in vocational training such as an apprenticeship.
The catholic education takes the largest portion of the non-government sector education. This is the reason why there are many catholic education jobs. However, not all the teaching jobs in the catholic institutions require the applicants to be Catholics.
There are 39 universities that are funded by government and another two which are private. These universities offer various education and training jobs for the most scholarly and experienced academics.
Further studies and experience obtained outside Australia in universities and higher education establishments, of equivalent or higher status, can be accepted in the job application.
Some of the popular education training jobsinclude the following:
- School Administrators: These are vested with the responsibility of managing and overseeing the day to day operations of a school.
- University Deans:These are the heads of various schools in the university. The roles, duties, responsibilities and qualifications for a Dean vary from one university to another.
- University heads of faculties and departments: They deputize the university chancellor by managing the affairs of a certain faculty or department in the university.
- Lecturers:These are the teachers at the universities. Most of them hold masters, PhDs and other higher qualifications in their area of study.
- Assistant lecturers:These are educators at the universities, but they have not attained the required experience for one to be employed and termed as lecturer.
- Tutorial fellows: These are the university teaching professionals that teach the students on a certain area in which they are still undertaking further research in another university.
- Researchers: The education at the Australian universities and colleges is research based. Researchers are employed so as to help the students in carrying out various researches on different issues.
- Non-Teaching school based workers:These include librarians, college nurses, security guards, etc. Although they do not teach in class, their roles are important in ensuring the smooth running of the educational institutions programs and activities.
- Principals: These are the heads of colleges or high schools. Most schools require the applicants for the position of principal to be experienced in teaching and to hold the relevant qualifications.
- Teachers:These are the professionals that take the active role of teaching various subjects and courses at the schools.
- School Psychologists: These professionals play important role in counseling the students and addressing other related issues in schools.
It is the responsibility of the federal and state governments to pay the teachers in the public education and training institutions. The teachers and educators are therefore employed by the federal or state governments.
As is the case with other governments, the pay for the teaching jobsis not very high but it is backed by various benefits from the government.
Aneducation jobat a private educational institution is generally better paid than a job in the government educational institutions. It’s the dream of most people to work in private education institutes and especially young graduates.
Like all the other jobs, the salary for teachers is at its lowest at entry level and increases with years of experience, acquiring more qualifications or after promotion.
The professors at the Australian universities and colleges that teach courses such as:
- Information technology
- Other technical subjects earn generally higher salary
The holders of degrees in various education disciplines generally earn higher and better salaries than those who hold lower qualifications. One can always make his or her pay better by advancing their education.
The salary scales may also increase depending on the holding of other qualifications. They may not be compulsory for every teacher but those who have these skills have an added advantage over their colleagues. They include:
- Special education for children with disabilities
- Computer skills
The salary variations of the teachers and educators among the states
The salary of the educators varies from one Australian state to the other. Each of the states has the powers of legislating on the remuneration terms and other benefits of the teachers. But in all states, anyone working in the education industry is assured a good salary that increases with time.
Australian Capital Territory
The salaries for the educators and teachers in ACT are based on salary range of 9 points. Note that these figures vary depending on the skills, professional qualifications, years of service and experience among other factors.
- Starting salary for 4-year trained educator - $38,615
- Starting salary for 5-year trained educator - $40,165
- Highest paid teacher - $60,000
- Head teacher - $68,174
- Deputy Principal - $65,247 to $80,230
- Principal - $80,235 to $95,876
- Assistant lecturer - $90,000 to $115,100
- Lecturer - $110,000 to $150,000
- Professor - $125,000 to $160,000
The salaries for teachers and educators in Queensland, Tasmania, Western Australia, South Australia, Victoria and Northern Territory lie within these ranges.
New South Wales
Educators and teachers in the New South Wales receive higher and better salary when compared to most other states in Australia. If you are searching for highly paying jobs in education you can therefore begin your search at this state.
- Starting salary for 4-year trained educator - $46,109
- Starting salary for 5-year trained educator - $48,225
- Highest paid teacher - $63,692
- Head teacher - $72,534
- Deputy Principal - $70,977 to $81, 923
- Principal - $82,915 to $101,101